Administers basic and advanced life support care to sick and injured persons in pre-hospital and in-hospital setting under direction of an Emergency Department Physician consistent with the KFSH&RC Department of Ambulance Services Protocols by performing the following duties.
Performs continuation of care and observation during inter-facility patient transfers per direction of responsible physician.
1. Assess each call situation to determine best course of action and appropriate protocol.
2. Utilize medical equipment and procedures including defibrillator, EKG monitor, oxygen and suction devices, intravenous fluids, CPR and other procedures and medications as required to provide advanced medical care.
3. Develop and utilize triage skills to provide optimal efficiency during calls.
4. Provide patient care according to clinical protocols and safety requirements.
5. Lift and move patients as required to provide optimum care.
6. Communicate with receiving facility to receive medical direction and to provide critical information.
7. Communicate with patient and loved ones to provide information and assurance that care is being given and to show compassion.
8. Act as team leader and take responsibility for scene management as needed.
9. Keep current on certifications.
10. Communicate with dispatcher to receive and understand call data and customer feedback.
11. Monitor and maintain the general condition of the unit, keep it clean and stocked for optimal call response to maintain the image of the KFSH&RC Department of Ambulance Services.
12. Document activities completely to ensure appropriate information is available regarding each call.
13. Assists in extricating trapped victims and transports sick and injured persons to treatment center.
14. Directs and coordinates patient care, between inter-agency (ie. MedEvac, VIP response, Airport) personnel and other health employees.
15. Capable of long periods of standing. Lifting 200 lbs., kneeling, stooping, bending, leaning, flexibility, multiple physical activities performed at the same time (carrying multiple pieces of equipment while pushing on pram).
16. Communicates with Physician and other medical personnel via radio or telephone. Completes all reports, including patient care records, legibly, accurately, and on a timely basis. At each shift, inspects vehicle to ensure that it is ready for service.
17. Performs all duties in a safe courteous, confidential and professional manner, always taking into account the well-being of the patient.
18. Mentors, trains, and encourages fellow staff as needed, to help them attain their full potential.
19. Maintains response readiness consistent with KFSH&RC Department of Ambulance Services' response criteria.
20. May supervise one of more employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with department's policies and regulations.
21. Performs any other related duties as assigned.
22. Participated in self and other's education, training and development, as applicable
23. Follows all Hospital policies and procedures
American Trained Paramedics:
Canadian Trained Paramedics: